Freeze Dried Garden Tomatoes

Freeze Dried Garden Tomatoes
Freeze Dried Garden Tomatoes
920x260-1

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

EASY HARVEST CASSEROLE

August is the time of year when gardens are overflowing with their bounty. Gardeners and cooks anticipate the variety and fresh flavors available during this season. We all know though that gardens often provide more than we can use. Some gardeners give some of their overflow to the local soup kitchen and then there is usually even much more for drying, freezing, canning and fermenting.But...in the meantime we also want some handy recipes so that we can appreciate the food in season. When I was on a walk one day last year a neighbor shared with me how he uses his eggplants , summer squash and tomatoes. It sounded very easy so I tried it...and it was a hit. You can vary this recipe to suit your own taste. It is so simple that even the quantities of each vegetable don't really matter. I fill the pan I am using about half to three quarters full

Sliced eggplant
Sliced tomatoes
Sliced summer squash
Olive oil or italian salad dressing
Grated parmesan cheese
Fresh basil

I began with a layer of squash, then scattered some eggplant slices around, sprinkled some parmesan cheese and drizzled some oil. Then I sliced tomatoes and placed them here and there. More squash and eggplant, cheese and oil and then topped with chopped basil. I bake it at 350 degrees for at least an hour and sometimes an hour and a half. I like the vegetables to be pretty reduced in moisture so that the veggies have more of a sweet intense flavor. MMMMM You could also add sliced peppers, onions...mushrooms...etc. It's not like baking a cake, the ingredients do not have to be exact. This way you also get to use almost any veggies you have on hand. I forgot to add salt and pepper and I didn't miss it, however, feel free to experiment and add different herbs and spices. Almost forgot.... don't slice the vegetables too thick....maybe between a quarter and half of an inch.

No comments:

Post a Comment