Freeze Dried Garden Tomatoes

Freeze Dried Garden Tomatoes
Freeze Dried Garden Tomatoes
920x260-1

Thursday, January 6, 2011

DANDELION ROOT: A HEALTHY TASTY COFFEE SUBSTITUTE



When I would complain to friends and family that I absolutely loved my morning cup of coffee but that I shouldn't be having the caffeine...the usual advice was to drink decaffeinated coffee. For some reason that never appealed to me. One of the main reasons I wanted the morning coffee kick was because of the caffeine...and besides I had heard that adding chemicals to the coffee was part of the decaffeinating process. So....I kept on reasoning that one cup of coffee a day couldn't further disable my overstressed adrenal glands. 

Well......guess what I am drinking this very moment......instead of coffee? I am thoroughly enjoying a cup of brewed roasted dandelion coffee with a tiny tidge of honey and a splash of farm fresh raw milk. I had my first cup yesterday (after my morning coffee that is). As I drank it I thought to myself.....this isn't too bad...in fact I really liked it. I promised myself that the next day (today) that I would skip the caffeine and only have a cup of roasted dandelion coffee. Here is what it looks like in the pan.
And this is what it looks like in my mug



 Before I talk more about dandelion root and its healthful properties......I just want to stress how important it is to have a healthy breakfast along with your coffee or coffee substitute. Breakfast can be the tried and true bacon and eggs (despite govt. warnings animal fat from animals fed their natural diet... is good for you) or it can be a bit different...like my breakfast this morning...pictured below.
The two muffins are gluten free multigrain slathered in healthy coconut oil.

To the left of the muffins is my homemade fermented ginger turnips and on the top is two slices of  grassfed braunschweiger 



 I talk more about fermented foods at this link http://tinyurl.com/25tosmh

On and off I am trying to eat a bit more low carb...so I probably could have done without the muffins. Just because they are gluten free doesn't mean that they are healthy for me in other respects. I consider this basically a healthy fast food breakfast because the fermented veggies are made way ahead of time in batches and stored in the fridge, the braunschweiger is cooked and ready to eat and the muffin just had to be toasted.

I just get so excited about the whole concept of free wild food...especially when it is often more healthy than foods we pay money for. Dandelion is one of the most awesome wild foods there is and can be found in many areas of the world. Most people think of dandelion as a pesky weed and put harmful chemicals on their lawns to get rid of it. This pollutes our immediate environment and destroys a special gift.....and for what? Dandelions are beautiful and have been used for many years in traditional cultures as healthy food and medicine. All parts of the dandelion can be eaten...the blossom, the leaves and the root. Today we'll just focus on the dandelion root. Here is a video that shows a bit about collecting dandelion and preparing it to make dandelion coffee.


Here are some of the benefits of dandelion from http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dandelion-root-tea.html

Dandelion Root Tea Benefits
"Some people call dandelion, "the tooth of lion" and use it as a springtime healer. Not only are the roots of dandelion useful, but the other parts are also used either for food or medicinal purposes. The leaves and crowns are used for salads and cooked greens, while the flowers are used for making wine and the juice is used against warts and blisters.

Dandelion root tea is known as a blood and kidney cleaner.


It is also used as a tonic. Dandelion root is rich in vitamins, minerals and micro-nutrients. Click to read on dandelion root benefits.


Diuretic uses of dandelion tea are also well known.


It is used as a general cleansing stimulant for the liver and can also be used to treat any malfunction of the liver.


It is also said to be beneficial for people suffering from diabetes, as it contains inulin, which plays an important role in controlling diabetes.


Dandelion Root    can also be used in the treatment of hepatitis.


It is also said to be useful to clear obstructions of the spleen, pancreas, gallbladder as well as the kidneys.


Dandelion root tea is also beneficial for the stomach and intestines and also for balancing the enzymes, which also help in digestion, assimilation and elimination.


Not many people are aware of the fact, that regular consumption of dandelion root tea decreases the amounts of cholesterol and uric acid in the body.


It is said to be especially beneficial for women in their menopausal phase.


It can also be used to treat abscesses, boils, breast tumors, etc.


It is an excellent tonic to treat anemia.


Liver cirrhosis can also be treated with regular consumption of dandelion tea.


The leaves of dandelion are eaten to reduce excess acidity, oxygenate, purify and build blood.


It is also used to regenerate cells.


There are also known benefits of dandelion in treating metabolic disturbances, bone disorders, low blood pressure, etc. You may want to read on dandelion tea benefits.


Dandelion Root Tea Side Effects


Dandelion root tea is normally safe and gentle, however, some people may have an allergic reaction to it. It is important to note, that dandelion root tea should not be take with any other diuretics or any drugs, which have a diuretic action. If you are on diabetes drugs, you should be careful while taking dandelion root tea, as dandelion root can intensify the blood sugar lowering effects of the drugs. It should not be taken by a person, who suffers from diarrhea."

Last spring I did collect dandelion leaves and roots but only used them is salads and I sauteed the leaves and sliced roots together a couple of times...as a vegetable. At that time I didn't realize that a coffee substitute could be made from the roots. I am looking forward to collecting and roasting the roots next year.
So.....if a person substitutes dandelion coffee for regular coffee, you will be eliminating one source of adrenal fatiguing substances(caffeine) and adding something that gradually improves overall health and stamina. The other trick is to try and not have breads , cookies and other sweets with the tea (only on special occasions). And once one gets used to no sweetener in the tea or to a small amount of  an adrenal health promoting substance as a sweetener (such as licorice root)...then usually one loses the excessive craving for the sweet taste.

 The alarming increase in diabetes and adrenal fatigue related syndromes suggests that we need to find more healthy delicious ways to relax. Once a person eliminates or greatly reduces sugar in the diet...their appreciation for natural flavors increases and a whole new world of exciting healthy possibilities opens up. Just when I think I've learned about all the new fun and healthy foods......something else comes along that surprises me and urges me to try it. Usually I can't resist. :>)

Almost forgot....for those of you who want a quick, easier way of getting the benefits of dandelion, you can buy dandelion root powder in bulk and make your own capsules or you can buy the capsules already made. If tinctures work better for you...then that's also an option with dandelion.But most importantly....DON"T FORGET to harvest some fresh dandelion this spring from unsprayed areas.

If you can't wait for spring you can buy here. Dandelion Root

No comments:

Post a Comment