Freeze Dried Garden Tomatoes

Freeze Dried Garden Tomatoes
Freeze Dried Garden Tomatoes
920x260-1

Sunday, November 28, 2010

HOW TO MAKE LOOSE HERBAL TEAS

Brewing a cup of tea from a storebought teabag can result in a convenient soothing and healing drink but making tea from loose herbs can be even better. For the past several years I have been having fun growing my own herbs and combining them with herbs and spices that I can't grow.... which I buy in bulk from
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/index.php?AID=111632  At Mountain Rose Herbs they have just about every herb you can think of...and I have always found them to be reasonably priced and very fresh. There is helpful information describing what each herb is used for.

The whole process of planting, growing, harvesting and drying the herbs is very soothing and healing.Observing the fragrances, colors and tasting the many different  flavors.... all play a role in connecting us to nature's healthy rythmns. I'd like to share with you several pictures of some of my favorite herbs to use in teas. The picture below is my patch of spearmint and applemint growing together. Just one hint.....if you are going to grow mints...make sure you have them in an area where they can spread. I planted mine in the middle of my herb garden and have to contstantly pull out the mint trailers to keep them from invading the growing spaces of my other herbs. Spearmint is very good for the nervous system, the digestive system and for respiratory issues. I use it in many of my tea mixtures. I find it to have a more delicate blending flavor over the peppermint.
The next picture expresses the beauty of sage. Sage is also good for the respiratory tract, digestive problems and winter illnesses in general. It can be used in teas or as a culinary herb



I think my favorite herb to mix with spearmint or applemint is Bee Balm. This herb is in the oregano family and can be used in many recipes in place of oregano. Beebalm was used by the Oswego Indians as a medicinal herb. Beebalm is also called Oswego tea and Monarda. It is easy to grow and and its flowers, which I also dry and use in tea... are very beautiful.


Anchored to my herb garden is an old boat that I filled with bee balm, nasturtium flowers and some parsley. I have other spots in the yard where I have trasnplanted the bee balm...because I want to make sure I have
enough of this healthful versatile herb.


The video at the bottom shows how to make the loose herbal teas and some of the equipment that can make it easier...such as different types of tea strainers, teapots.....etc. You can find some of these things in healthfood stores or you can browse at this link http://coldfusion.affiliateshop.com/AIDLink.cfm?AID=111632&Redirect=/tea_tool/tea_tool.html

Some of the books I found useful were Herbal Teas: 101 Nourishing Blends for Daily Health & Vitality , Growing 101 Herbs that Heal: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies AND



AND...here is the recipe for the herbal tea I drink almost every night
http://lymesentinel.blogspot.com/2010/06/join-me-for-healthy-cup-of-tea.html









Cultivating Herbal Friendships

No comments:

Post a Comment